Wellness Center Room Rental Policy
When available, the Wellness Center can accommodate specific groups who desire space for programming or meetings. Because our mission is to promote health and wellness, we retain the right to refuse space for groups who are engaging in activities or promoting behavior that does not support this mission. The following guidelines apply to facility reservations:
- Requests for room reservations must be submitted in writing at least one week in advance to the Wellness Center Office Assistant.
- Priority is given to groups affiliated with Wellness Center operations. All other reservation requests are considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please do not advertise your event until a written confirmation is received.
Room rental rates are as follows:
Rice University students (currently enrolled) - FREE
Rice Departments within Dean of Undergraduates Division - FREE
All other Rice Departments - $10/hour
Wellness Center Services Eligibility Requirements
The following individuals are eligible to receive massage or acupuncture therapy: Currently enrolled students with an active Rice University ID.
- Benefits-eligible employees with an active Rice University ID.
- Spouses or domestic partners of students or employees, as identified above, with an active Rice University ID.
- Children of students or employees, as identified above, between the ages of 14-17.
- Only students and their dependents can receive the reduced student rate for massage and acupuncture.
- Free nutrition consultations are only available for currently enrolled students.
Wellness Center Operations Policies
- Appointment cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance of scheduled appointment time.
- 50% fee (based on price of massage or acupuncture) will be assessed for failure to cancel or a missed appointment.
- $25.00 fee will be assessed for returned personal checks.
- Wellness Center Lending Library items must be returned in same condition as when checked out. If items are lost or damaged, replacement restitution from borrower may be requested.
Building Smoking Policy
The Barbara and David Gibbs Recreation and Wellness Center is a facility dedicated to improving the fitness and well-being of all its patrons. It is our goal to create an environment that is free from Environmental Tobacco Smoke. Therefore, no smoking will be allowed within the perimeter of the facility. This policy applies to all indoor and outdoor spaces, including the entry plaza, the Wellness Courtyard, all covered walkways, the recreational and competition pool areas and basketball courts.